Saturday, September 1, 2012

Beer Review: Fixed Gear American Red Ale

I've drank a lot of different beers in my time on Earth.  I have never reviewed them before, however.  Not in writing anyway.  On a whim, I've decided to start reviewing them.  In order to do that, I found a good video and guide on how to review beer.

The 1st beer that I will review is Fixed Gear American Red Ale.  I picked up a 6 pack of this at the shoppette on base.  For those not in the know, a shoppette is kind of like a 7-11 on military bases.  Normally, in Germany, the shoppettes sell the typical mass produced, Budweiser, Bud Light, MGD, Miller Lite, and a select German Pilsners and hefeweizens.  A new shoppette/gas station opened on base yesterday.  My wife and I stopped in there tonight on the way home for some wine and I found some new American IPAs on the shelves.  I am Jack's surprise.  I'm not a huge fan of IPAs but I'm always willing to try new things.  I chose Fixed Gear because it said red ale.  I like red and amber beers so I picked up a pack.  OK, now to the review.

Appearance:  It is an amber colored beer, slightly cloudy with decent carbonation.  The head is about a half inch thick with a tan color that dissipates.
Aroma:  This beer is very hoppy which tells me its an IPA even though the title is a bit misleading.  It has a citrus aroma, mostly grape fruit.
Flavor:  Similar to the aroma.  Hops are strong in this one.  Starts off smooth with a strong citrus hops flavor with a bit of a dry bitter finish and a lingering after taste.
Mouthfeel:  The beer appears to be medium bodied.
Overall Impression:  This beer definitely appeared to be an IPA.  I'm not a huge fan of that style to begin with but this beer was OK.  It had character.  I could drink it again.  I could probably see myself getting into IPAs if I drink enough of them.  If I had to give it a grade, I guess C+.

Fixed Gear American Red Ale is worth a try.  If you've tried this beer and disagree with me, let me know.  If  you think I got something wrong, let me know.  I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.  Contact me on Twitter @Domkizzle or Email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment